Welcome to the Chilli Pepper Global Blog

Everything you need to know to secure the right job and negotiate the highest salary in Investment Banking.


Step-by-step support from initial application to interview technique and final offer.

Monday 17 May 2010

It's a Numbers Game

I’m surprised by the number of people who don’t treat looking for a new job as a job itself. This is especially the case if they are not currently working. Too often I hear from people who are disappointed by the fact that they haven’t got any interviews arranged from one week to the next. I will give you an example of a recent conversation I had with a client:

Client: Nikki, I’ve now been out of work for 6 weeks and I have yet to secure an interview.
Me: OK, how many jobs have you applied for?
Client: I’ve sent my CV to 6 jobs.
Me: OK, you’ve been out of work for 6 weeks and applied for 6 jobs?
Client: Yes, that’s correct.
Me: So basically you have applied for just 1 job a week?
Client: Yes.
Me: On the basis that you are applying for 1 job a week are you now surprised that you haven’t received any invitations to interview?
Client: I guess I need to apply for more jobs.

Input Activity = Output Results

I appreciate it’s difficult to look for new opportunities when working as it’s not always possible to search the internet and make phone calls when in the office.

If, however, you are out of work then you should be making it your job to find a new one. This means spending the whole day as you would otherwise, as if you were at work.

You should be searching the internet, calling potential employers and networking with recruiters, ex colleagues and friends within your industry. Another great excuse is to say, “I have called my agency and there aren’t any suitable opportunities that fit my skill set right now.” Then sit back and either wait for them to call you or make the same call again the following week.

Jobs won’t come knocking on your door YOU have to put the effort in to find them.

Everyday employers are making job offers to someone and by taking the appropriate ACTION that someone could be YOU.

Jack Canfield
“Everything you want is out there waiting for you to ask. Everything you want also wants you. But you have to take action to get it.”

Nikki Hutchison, founder of Chilli Pepper Global http://www.chillipepperglobal.com/ advising you on every aspect of the job seeking process guiding you step by step.

No comments:

Post a Comment