Welcome to the Chilli Pepper Global Blog

Everything you need to know to secure the right job and negotiate the highest salary in Investment Banking.


Step-by-step support from initial application to interview technique and final offer.

Friday 14 May 2010

Recession Blessing in Disguise?

I can honestly say that the recession of the early 1990’s had no effect on my life what so ever. My father a policeman and my mother a housewife with 4 children to support, always managed, and still do live within their means. Don’t get me wrong, as children we never went without and enjoyed holidays abroad every year, but if my parents were finding it difficult then I was never made aware of the fact.

I left school in 1990 to go to work at the age of 17, I bought a brand new car at the age of 18 and my first house by the time I was 20. Everything was great and a decade later I found myself self employed and running a successful Investment Banking recruitment business with my husband and his business partner. Life couldn’t be better.

Then, without any prior warning, the financial markets crisis hit in early 2008 and RECESSION hit the globe.

So now, I’m 35 with 2 young children to support and a modest mortgage and lifestyle to maintain. My world was starting to crack around me. Having no income for the first time in 20 years meant that I had to make some serious changes to my life. I sat and hoped for a number of months and do you know what happened? NOTHING! My confidence had been knocked sideways, my self esteem was lower than low, so what did I do?

Firstly, I had to identify what it was that I LOVE about my job.
Secondly, I had to look at myself and get back my SELF BELIEF. I had to write down my goals and devise a plan as to how I was going to get back on the road to success.
Thirdly, I had to stop making excuses, doing nothing and instead change my mindset and take ACTION.

We are all faced with challenges at some stage in our lives and I'm passionate about helping others to create the life they deserve. With no work for over a year, 2009 for me was a life changing experience although it took me almost a year to realize!

Martin Luther King, Jr.“The ultimate measure of a person is not where they stand in moments of comfort and convenience, but where they stand in times of challenge and controversy.”

Nikki Hutchison, founder of Chilli Pepper Global http://www.chillipepperglobal.com/ advising you on every aspect of the job seeking process guiding you step by step.

No comments:

Post a Comment